Join The Community

Day In the Life of an Intern

DMC aims to let every student have the opportunity to put into action what they have learnt through the course, and one of the ways is through internships. Just like most courses in all polytechnics, internships are an essential part of a student’s poly life, where students get to spend a few months in actual companies, applying what they have learnt in Media and Communication to the working world.

Internships are a real eye-opener for students, as it opens their eyes to the reality of the working world, and prepare them for their working life in future. Students can also have the chance to decide between doing their internships locally or overseas.

Here are two interviews from two DMC year 3 students, Mohammad Adib and Dexter Lee respectively, giving their accounts of what their internship experiences have been like for them so far.

Our first Year 3 intern student is Mohammad Adib. He is currently doing his internship overseas at Bangkok, attached to the digital marketing subsidiary of Starcom Mediavest Group, which works closely in partnership with DMC.

How did you feel when you were posted to Bangkok with Karmaine (a fellow DMC Year 3 intern student)?

I did not know what to expect really. It was my first time in Bangkok and being away from Singapore for so long. While I was at the airport, the feeling did not sink in until a few days later. I have Karmaine here as a room mate, so I have company and it is great to stay with someone you know and close with. At the same time I do miss my family and friends after being used to see them everyday. There is Skype, Facebook and Twitter so we can constantly keep in contact so it is not that bad.

What is the job scope that you have in Starcom Mediavest?

I am attached to Zenith Optimedia, it is the digital marketing subsidiary of Starcom Mediavest Group. We do research and strategizing for clients who want to buy advertisement space online.

The work I do is a balance of art and science. There is a lot of data analyzing involved, so you have to be comfortable with numbers. I have to say that I now have a deeper appreciation of the work that goes behind the advertising space, it is very understated and not focused much in our school modules.

What aspects of DMC have you applied in your current internship? 

Quite a mix actually. A lot of what I do here is not taught in any specific module. I have used stuff learnt from Social+Media, MMR, Consumer Behaviour, Marketing, Integrated Communications Management (FYP), New Communication Technologies, Advertising and Brand Management.

How has your internship experience in the company been like for you so far?

It has been challenging so far. I am doing something new which I have no experience or knowledge in. Most of the time I am working independently without much help or resources. I had to use many software and tools, which I have never used before so I had to learn on the job and figure things out at the same time.

But I am enjoying the assignments given to me as I am handling real life clients and it forces me to think differently from what we are taught in school.
My supervisor is nice and helpful. She pushes me to think out of the box. She also constantly asks for my input and to give suggestions for the projects.

How is it like working with people of a different nationality? (Eg. Communication barrier and so on) 

Language and culture is the main hurdle here. I do not speak Thai at all and my colleagues have varying fluencies in English. It is difficult to communicate with them at times and the message gets lost in translation. They are very nice and helpful and they love it when you try to speak Thai to them. They will also teach you how to speak and pronounce the words properly.

What are the working hours like and what do you do when work is over?

Work for me starts at 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. with an hour lunch break. We have a shuttle bus from the apartment that sends us straight to our office. After work I would usually go home and relax. Once in a while we head out to have dinner somewhere but it is a difficulty to travel away from the office in the evening as the road is very congested. Most of the time I would head home, go for a swim, cook dinner and watch TV.

How would you describe your life in Bangkok to be like now?

I am having the time of my life, and I am very grateful for this opportunity. I am glad I made the choice to come to Bangkok to do my internship. It has not been smooth sailing but I need to make the most of my time here. I would not get another chance like this, to work and experience life in another city. I wouldn’t say it is like a holiday, since I have work on weekdays but I make sure I go out and explore the city on weekends. I am meeting new people and making new friends everyday. It has been a real eye opener and a humbling experience.

What is one take away you’ve gained through your time in Bangkok?

I have learnt to be independent and more responsible. I am so far away from home with a roommate here. I used to be quite carefree and not bother about things in Singapore. But now I have to plan my time wisely and strike a balance between work and play.

Would you recommend students to go for the overseas internship programme like yourself? Why?

Most definitely! But you have to be prepared for it. For me, internship is about learning something new and stepping out of your comfort zone. If you think you can come here and just have fun and do anything you want then this internship is not for you. It is more difficult than it seems and I admit, I was caught off guard initially.

Sure there will be no lecturer to supervise you and all but at the same time, you have no one to help you but yourself. You will need to do the chores yourself and look after yourself. At the same time, you need to know how to manage your expenses and live within the allowance given.


Adib and his friend from his sightseeing adventure. 


Adib and Karmaine's apartment.


One of the many traffic jams that occur everyday in Bangkok.


Adib's lunch: Phad Thai and papaya salad.


Adib caught the AFF Suzuki Cup 2012: Singapore vs. Thailand live!


We also have our very own DMC Year 3 intern student, Dexter Lee. He is currently interning at the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS), a statutory board under the Ministry of Transport.


How did you first feel when you were posted to that Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS)?

Personally, I decided to let the school choose my internship company for me, as I was not sure what I was really good at. I figured my lecturers would know me best and know what would be perfect for me. Hence I left it up to them to decide.

After knowing my posting, I felt like I knew nothing about aviation, I was slightly apprehensive. I feared that my lack of knowledge would be a hindrance. But at the same time, it served as a bigger challenge as I had more to learn than others.

What aspects of DMC that you have learnt that you need to apply?

I am in the Corporate Communications Division hence there are many skills that I apply which I learnt over the years in DMC. This includes writing skills on various platforms emails and letters for fellow colleagues, superiors and external clients.

Designing and illustrations skills I picked up in DMC has also been essential as I contributed to the different forms of corporate branding which required some designing work.

The most valuable aspect DMC have taught me is definitely communication skills. Being in a whole new environment, it is important to know how to carry yourself and bring forth your message accurately to the different target audiences. This has helped me be more confident and prove my capabilities to my supervisor.

How is it like working in a company, working with adults and such?

Being the only intern, it is hard to not have someone of you age to talk to. But I am glad that my colleagues are very welcoming and have never failed to make me feel like a part of them.

But of course the working style is different. No longer are we laughing at jokes as we work on our projects back in school but instead everyone is focused on their own work and completing it before meeting up to discuss further.

It may get boring but sometimes when everybody is a little tired, we would all start talking for a while over our cubicles and take a break before getting back to work. All in all, it is still quite fun.

What is enjoyable about your job?

The events I get to participate in are definitely the most enjoyable thing. I participated in a mock crisis exercise, a signing ceremony in Ngee Ann Polytechnic and also a media briefing for the press. There are still more upcoming activities and I look forward to them.

What do you miss most about school now?

I miss everything! My friends, my lecturers, the food and even all the pressing deadlines! SP DMC has given me an unforgettable experience and I wouldn’t mind doing it all over again for sure! I am fortunate to be in such a loving atmosphere hence I really do miss everything!


The entrance to CAAS that Dexter walks past every morning.

1 comment:

  1. ou made a some good and effective points. I always prefer to read good quality contents and I think I have found it on your post here. Thanks!
    Empower Network

    ReplyDelete