Join The Community

In The Shoes of A DPA Student

Ever wanted to apply for a course but you are afraid that your grades weren’t good enough? At Singapore Polytechnic (SP), we strongly believe in the holistic development of an individual so there are definitely other alternatives to get into your dream course, e.g. DMC!


Meet Mandy Chng, a Year 2 student of the Diploma in Media and Communication (DMC), who went through the Direct Poly Admission (DPA) route to get into the course that she is currently in.

---

Hi Mandy! Can you tell us more about yourself?
I am someone who loves listening to music, reading and writing. I really enjoy attending gigs when my favourite bands such as Two Door Cinema Club and Alt-J are performing. I feel that music and writing are mediums for me to express myself.

So Mandy, can you tell us how you got to know about DPA?
I happened to be on the SP’s website one day when I came across the banner talking about how I could sign up for DPA. SP’s website was able to inform me about what DPA is all about as well as the criteria that needs to be fulfilled.

Why did you choose to enter SP DMC through DPA? 
With my passion for music and writing, it sparked an interest within me to pursue a career in the media industry. I decided to enter through DPA to secure a better placing in SP DMC. DPA reassures that I would get into the course I am passionate about. You’ll never know if you will perform well during ‘O’ levels.

Did you feel like there were a lot of expectations being a DPA student? 
Not really. I had to sit through interviews and a test that required us to write about an interesting news article that I have read. The lecturer in-charge who took me through was Ms. Trudy, she was very patient and encouraging. I was fortunate to have Ms. Trudy as the lecturer in-charge of my class in Year 1.

Were you given a head start to DMC as compared to other students? 
Yes! The DPA students and I attended camps. Through the camps, I made a lot of friends from different courses before school even started. I felt more exposed to poly life and it definitely prepared me for school. I also attended a Design Thinking and Video Production course, which helped me greatly in the modules of DMC.

How did you feel about your whole experience as a DPA student?
It was indeed a very enriching experience. I learnt a lot and I think it has made me a better equipped student with more knowledge. I also enjoyed being able to meet all sorts of people from the different courses.

Would you encourage students to apply for DPA?
I would recommend students to apply for DPA if you are absolutely sure of the course you are interested in. It gives you a much better chance of being able to enter the course you want. It exposes you to other opportunities, and you’ll learn things that you might not necessarily get to learn in your course.

Are there any advice for potential DPA students out there?
Be sure that you’re applying to a course that you’re serious about and interested in. During the selection process, don’t be afraid or shy to show off your skills, be impressive, and be open to meeting new people and experiences. There is really nothing to lose through this application, just give DPA a shot!

---

The Mass Media Research Press Conference Team!

Mandy has been actively involved in recent DMC events such as the Mass Media Research Press Conference: Impact of Social Media on Youth Well-Being and Happiness, where her group emerged as one of the top two research teams in the cohort.

She is also involved in Singapore Polytechnic Integrated Marketing Communications Plus (SP IMC+), an inaugural event that is organized by students for students. Before the SP IMC+ planning process, the whole Year 2 cohort had IMC tutorials taught by the lecturers. After which, the students were put through the application process when the students were tasked to organize the event. For SP IMC+, Mandy is in the Design and Marketing Team where she has to come up with design concepts for the event. With the photoshop skills acquired in her first year, Mandy is able to apply them to use.


Visit http://www.sp.edu.sg/dpa for more information on Singapore Polytechnic’s Direct Poly Admission!

Also, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to:

- Tweet to us at http://www.twitter.com/CassyDMC

- Post them at http://www.facebook.com/spmediacomm

 

No comments:

Post a Comment