Join The Community

My Experience at the Open House 2013 — SP+U

"What course should I be in?"

"Is this course suitable for me?"

"What is life as a DMC student like?"

"I like to write so... is DMC the course for me?"

"What modules do you do in DMC? Are they fun? I heard your course is cool!"

Those were the top questions I can remember being asked over the past couple of days.

Being a student of the Diploma in Media and Communications (DMC) course, I enthusiastically signed up as a volunteer to be a Student Counsellor, something I missed a chance at being last year due to procrastination.

Yes, I put off volunteering myself earlier last year hence missing the chance. Procrastination isn't good, you hear?

Okay, digression aside.. hi all!

If you were at the Open House 2013 and spoke to a slightly tanned, very cheerful, smiley and enthusiastic girl (ha ha ha) at the School of Communications, Arts and Social Sciences (CASS) booth, that would be me.



It was an experience for me, something I would say I was proud being a part of.

Being involved in an open house is no easy task as you face people from all walks of life approaching you with some of the hardest questions ever. What happens if you answer them wrongly? What if something slipped out? What if you accidentally told them something that would change their mind about the course and their interest in it?

Sometimes it's daunting, really.

Thankfully for me, I had a really good time talking to very nice and polite current "O" Level students, secondary school graduates and parents alike.

Wait... have you been to the CASS booth at this year's open house?




If you have yet to do so, do pay us a visit! 

We're located at the lower level of the Singapore Polytechnic Convention Centre (SPCC), the first building you'd see upon exiting the Dover MRT station (yes! Located right outside Dover MRT station is SP. how convenient is that?!)

We have helpful lecturers, such as our DMC lecturers Mr. Tan and Ms. Trudy that you see here, and student counsellors stationed around the booth to help answer any queries you have about the courses available at the School of CASS.




Our Year 1 DMC students helping a visitor with his questions about the course

We've decorated it beautifully this year, and as I walked and familiarised myself with all the booths in the area, I realised we were probably the only course that went on to decorate the ceiling of our booth.




A brochure for you, sir/m'am?


Stepped outside to take a breather and I saw this!


Don't forget to catch the activities such as the LIVE bands and dance performances from various CCAs that SP has lined up just for you!

Who knows, if you come to SP you might be a part of one of them ;) 

With over 120 student clubs and sports teams, you'll definitely be spoilt for choice.

Oh, by the way, The Plaza is where the huge tent and stage are set up. It's located behind the skate park near McDonald's so if you see the famous, iconic two yellow arches, you know you're there!




My classmate Zailiang — also one of the student counsellors helping at the course counselling — and I were feeling pretty lazy, so we took the bus service up the hill to check out what our coursemates were doing at The Agency, our very own space for work and play.


Curious to see this space in person? Hop on down to the Singapore Polytechnic Convention Center, approach our friendly student helpers and request for a tour at the School of CASS. 
Everyone's favourite book covers were printed and pasted over the pillars in The Agency.

We popped inside to find that our classmate Syarkir was currently giving a group of students a tour around The Agency itself.

They were watching a video played on our television (yes you heard that right, we have a television at The Agency) and the voice was pretty familiar...




... it's ShiGGa Shay!
For those of you who don't know, he's a fresh graduate from our course. I love his songs so...... I just sat there and watched the video along with the people in the tour. *twiddles fingers*

And that concluded my second day as a student counsellor for DMC for the SP Open House 2013.

No, I'm not in this photo hehehe
What are you waiting for? Come on down and visit us up the hill at The Agency. Your helpful tour guides from the Diploma in Media and Communications welcome you.


SP+U


If you've yet to visit us at the Open House 2013, fret not! We'll be here on Monday and Tuesday still. Tours will be conducted till about 6pm or so.


Questions? Queries? Or you just need to talk to someone in the course? Tweet to us @cassydmc  (https://twitter.com/cassydmc) or find us at our Facebook page and website at https://www.facebook.com/spmediacomm / http://www.sp.edu.sg/wps/portal/vp-spws/schcass.cse.dip.dipinmediaandcommunications

For more information on the SP Open House, visit us at Aspirations.sg.

We look forward to seeing you in Singapore Polytechnic!

No comments:

Post a Comment